Most of us have heard that airplanes are among the safest means of traveling; however, Gulf Coast chopper accident lawyers know that helicopters are one of the most dangerous modes of transport.
In the oil and gas industry, helicopters are common means of transportation to get to offshore drilling rigs and vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately, helicopter accidents are about 90% more likely to occur than airplane accidents. Critical, even fatal, injuries usually are the result of these accidents.
Most helicopter crashes result in wrongful death for those on board. While the fatality rate for the average American worker is 3.8 deaths for 100,000 workers, the rate among oil and gas industry employees is 27.1 deaths per 100,000.
According to statistics from the time period of 2003-2010, helicopter accidents accounted for 75 percent of all transportation-related deaths among oil and gas industry workers. During that time period, 17 helicopter accidents occurred in the Gulf of Mexico; of these, 11 resulted in at least 1 worker fatality. Nine accident victims survived the crash but later drowned before they could be rescued.
When a loved one is killed in a Louisiana helicopter accident, it’s important that families know they have legal rights to pursue compensation against the negligent party.
Chopper Crash Injuries
For those who survive a crash, the most common helicopter accident injuries are catastrophic with long-term consequences. These injuries may include:
- Traumatic brain injury: Also known as TBI, these injuries can have a critical impact on the victim’s neurological function and long-term cognitive abilities.
- Spinal cord injury: Spine injuries can result in partial or total paralysis.
- Burn injuries: These injuries can be extremely painful and even fatal, depending on the severity and extent to which the victim is burned. Long-term physical and emotional trauma are also common for those who suffer severe burn injuries.
- Limb loss: Amputations, whether during the accident or when required due to medical issues after an accident, can be incredibly painful both physically and emotionally for accident victims and affect every part of your life, from work to family to normal daily activities.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Catastrophic accidents often have long-term psychological effects on the survivors. One of the conditions that can develop after an event such as a helicopter crash is PTSD.
Nationally Recognized Attorneys
Offshore Helicopter Accident Information Center
Compensation for Helicopter Accident Injuries
If you survive a chopper crash, critical helicopter accident injuries will likely make a return to your normal daily life all but impossible. The long-term medical care that is sure to be required, combined with serious limitations on your ability to work in the future, result in financial ruin for many helicopter accident victims. This is why it is so critical to pursue the maximum compensation possible from the party responsible for the accident.
Factors that will influence the compensation you may be entitled to include:
- The type and severity of your helicopter accident injuries
- Current and future medical treatment needs
- Current and future lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Extent to which you are expected to recover from the injuries
- Emotional and psychological damage suffered from the accident
At The Lambert Firm, our New Orleans helicopter accident attorneys help victims and the families of victims who have died in aviation accidents to recover compensation for the damages they’ve suffered. Contact us today for experienced legal assistance.